VISA & ARRIVAL INFORMATION
APPLYING FOR A U.S. STUDENT VISA
George Stevens Academy has been granted authorization under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign students. In order to attend George Stevens Academy, students must obtain an F-1 (student) visa. It can take anywhere from one to ten weeks to receive a visa. Therefore, students should plan ahead and allow enough time for visa processing. Students may apply for a visa 90 days before the registration date on the I-20 Form.
TO LEAVE A COUNTRY:
1. Apply for a passport. (This process may take several weeks.)
2. Inquire as to what other documents are required, such as:
• Legal agreements requiring you to return to your country at a specific age, at the completion of your academic schooling, or for military service
• Financial disclosures
• Educational agreements.
TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES:
1. Obtain an I-20 Form (Certificate of Eligibility) from George Stevens Academy after enrolling. (Contract and deposit must be received before I-20 will be sent.)
2. Apply for an F-1 student visa at your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consular Office. You will need:
· Completed Form DS-156, Application for Non-Immigrant Visa.
· I-20 Form from GSA.
· Passport, which must be valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.
· Completed Affidavit of Support to verify financial support while you are in the U.S.
· Letter of admission from GSA.
· You may also need to show proof of good health; English competency; transcripts from previous institutions attended; scores from tests such as the SSAT, PSAT, TOEFL, or SLEP; guardianship; your enrollment contract from GSA; photographs; police certificates; and intent to return home after completion of your education.
3. A fee will be charged for obtaining a visa.
4. If you are turned down the first time, please try again.
For more detailed information about U.S. visas, please see http://www.boardingschools.com/how-to-apply/international-applicants/us-visas.aspx
ARRIVING IN MAINE
Airport: Students should fly into the Bangor International Airport (BGR), and will be met by someone from GSA. Flight details should be sent to Dean of Students Todd Eckenfelder (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Residential Life Assistant Prudy Heilner (email@example.com) as soon as possible so that we can make sure someone will be at the airport.