VISA & ARRIVAL INFORMATION
APPLYING FOR A U.S. STUDENT VISA
George Stevens Academy has been granted authorization under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign students. In order to attend George Stevens Academy, students must obtain an F-1 (student) visa. It can take anywhere from one to ten weeks to receive a visa. Therefore, students should plan ahead and allow enough time for visa processing. Students may apply for a visa 90 days before the registration date on the I-20 Form.
TO LEAVE A COUNTRY:
1. Apply for a passport. (This process may take several weeks.)
2. Inquire as to what other documents are required, such as:
• Legal agreements requiring you to return to your country at a specific age, at the completion of your academic schooling, or for military service
• Financial disclosures
• Educational agreements.
TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES:
1. Obtain an I-20 Form (Certificate of Eligibility) from George Stevens Academy after enrolling. (Contract and deposit must be received before I-20 will be sent.)
2. Apply for an F-1 student visa at your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consular Office. You will need:
· Completed Form DS-156, Application for Non-Immigrant Visa.
· I-20 Form from GSA.
· Passport, which must be valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.
· Completed Affidavit of Support to verify financial support while you are in the U.S.
· Letter of admission from GSA.
· You may also need to show proof of good health; English competency; transcripts from previous institutions attended; scores from tests such as the SSAT, PSAT, TOEFL, or SLEP; guardianship; your enrollment contract from GSA; photographs; police certificates; and intent to return home after completion of your education.
3. A fee will be charged for obtaining a visa.
4. If you are turned down the first time, please try again.
For more detailed information about U.S. visas, please see http://www.boardingschools.com/how-to-apply/international-applicants/us-visas.aspx
ARRIVING IN MAINE
Airport: Students should fly into the Bangor International Airport (BGR), and will be met by someone from GSA. Flight details should be sent to the Director of Residential Life, Elizabeth Moss, as soon as possible so that we can make sure someone will be at the airport.