The English Department embraces the following objectives:
- to enable students to use language effectively, whether for a career, the job market, higher education, or lifelong learning;
- to develop in students an appreciation for literature, both prose and poetry, and for the variety of literary genres;
- to develop students' skill in rhetoric and debate, and an appreciation of its importance in a democratic society;
- to foster collaboration and shared inquiry among peers;
- to improve writing skills, including grammar, vocabulary, and style;
- to provide opportunities for students to express their passions and interests in writing and orally.
Along with our broad array of courses, we offer several extracurricular opportunities, including participation in the New England Young Writers' Conference at Bread Loaf, occasional local writing workshops, and Arts Fest mini-classes.View the English course maps, course lists, and course descriptions.View the complete 2018-19 Program of Studies.